If you’ve never eaten avocado and goat’s cheese together before, get ready for a lovely surprise!
- 12 oz bag of spelt pasta, eg. fusilli
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 avocado
- bunch fresh basil
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- small piece fresh ginger, grated (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper + more to taste
- 2-3 oz fresh, soft goat’s cheese
- 1/2 cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- bunch coriander, finely chopped
Roast the pine nuts and cumin seeds in a hot dry pan until light golden brown and fragrant. Set aside.
Put the avocado, basil, lemon juice, grated lemon zest and juice, ginger, garlic, cumin and pine nuts into a food processor. Pour the water over the top. Blend on high speed until the ingredients form a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain the pasta in a colander, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and pour the pasta back into the pot. Add the avocado paste to the pasta and stir. If the mixture is too dry, add a little of the cooking liquid to make the sauce the appropriate texture. Divide the pasta between four plates; garnish each plate with goat cheese, ground cashew nuts, and finely chopped coriander. Serve immediately